The SciAps X-505 is the smallest, lightest weight handheld X-ray analyzer ever made. In terms of speed, it is second only to the X-550. Weighing in at 2.8 lbs. with the battery, it delivers the small size, blazing speed and high precision of the SciAps X Series in a perfectly balanced device. It’s fast on all alloys, including aluminums. With it’s state-of-the-art design and excellent heat handling, the X-505 can run all day long, even in the hottest climates, without requiring down time due to overheating.
- Weight : 2.8 lbs. with battery
- Dimensions : 7.25″ x 10.5″ x 4.5″
- Power : On board rechargeable Li-ion battery, rechargeable inside device or with external charger, AC power, hot-swap capability (60s max swap time).
- Display : 2.7-inch color capacitive touchscreen — 400 MHz Qualcomm Adreno 306 2D/3D graphics accelerator.
- Comms/Data Transfer : Wifi, Bluetooth, USB connectivity to most devices, including SciAps ProfileBuilder PC software.
- Security : Password protected usage (user level) and internal settings (admin).
- Regulatory : CE, RoHS, USFDA registered, Canada RED Act.
- Excitation Source : 40 kV, 200 uA Rh anode and 10kV, 500 uA for alloy testing, 50 kV, 200 uA Au anode for most other apps.
- Detector : 20 mm2 silicon drift detector (active area), 140 eV resolution FWHM at 5.95 Mn K-alpha line.
- X-Ray Filtering : 4 position filter wheel for beam optimization.
- Processing Electronics and Host Processing : 1.2GHz quad ARM Cortex A53 64/32-bit, RAM: 2GB LP-DDR3, Storage: 16 GB eMMC (storage).
- Pulse Processor : 12 bit with digitization rate of 80 MSPS 8K channel MCA USB 2.0 for high-speed data transfer to host processor. Digital filtering implemented in FPGA for high throughput pulse processing 20 nS – 24 uS peaking time.
- Environmental Temp. Range : 10°F to 130°F at 25% duty cycle.
- Calibration : Fundamental parameters. For Geochem and Environmental Soil apps, users may also choose “Compton Normalization” method and/or use empirically derived calibrations.
- Calibration Check : External 316 stainless check standard for calibration verification and energy scale validation.
- Analytical Range : 32 elements standard, specific elements vary by app. Additional elements may be added upon user request.
- Available Apps : Alloy, Geochem (Mining), Empirical, Environmental apps. New apps are added regularly.
- Grade Library : Standard library contains 500+ grades, no practical size limit. Multiple libraries supported, grades may be added on analyzer or via PC software package (ProfileBuilder).
- Delivers PMI for most alloys in 1 second with excellent precision
The vast majority of PMI work is for common stainless, Cr-Mo steels, low alloy steels and high temperature alloys such as nickel, titanium, and cobalt based alloys, superalloys and specialty alloys such as tungsten carbides, tin-lead solders, zirconium alloys and many more. The X-505 verifies grade and chemistry in 1-2 seconds with excellent precision.
Measure Ni, Cr and Cu content down to 0.01-0.02% to verify the sum of the three elements is less than 0.15%. And also meet the latest requirements that V and Nb both be < 0.02%.
- Sulfidic corrosion
Combined with highly optimal internal geometry, the X-505 measures silicon in steels below 0.1% for sulfidic corrosion applications.
A major advancement for aluminum alloy sorting. The historic weakness of X-ray has been aluminum alloy sorting. This is because most X-ray guns are poor at measuring magnesium (Mg), and Mg analysis is critical to correctly sorting aluminum alloys. The X-505 was designed for optimal sensitivity to Mg, and therefore silicon (Si). The result is an analyzer that offers accurate sorting of the many complex grades of aluminum alloys. See our Guide to Aluminum Alloy Sorting
- Great on high temp alloys and precious metals.
Like most XRFs, the -505 provides fast, precise chemistry on the wide array of high temperature alloys, stainless, red metals and precious metals.
- Tramp Elements
Scrap processing has moved beyond just grade sorting. Many consumers now demand analysis on tramp or residual elements in common steel, nickel and copper alloys. The X-505 is optimized for low detection limits on common tramp elements, including Cr, Ni, Cu, V, Nb, Mo in steels, Pb and Bi in nickel alloys, and various undesired elements in copper alloys.
Now available for exploration and ore grade control applications. Contact us for details about our elemental analysis for exploration and pathfinder applications. SciAps XRF analyzers are utilized worldwide by many major exploration companies and mining laboratory services companies. Also available with compact test stand for closed-beam operation.
The X-505 may be equipped with elemental analysis of environmental soils. The analysis package includes the 8 RCRA metals and 11 of the 12 EPA priority pollutant metals (excepting beryllium – use our Z200 LIBS for that). The X-505 complies with the long standing EPA Method 6200.
The X-505 will soon be available with our RoHS and Halogen-Free apps, offering fast, precise analysis of the RoHS elements Pb, Cd, Br, total Cr and Hg, plus Cl for halogen-free requirements.
Do you have a unique analytical applications? The X-505 can be equipped with our Empirical App, allowing the user to set up unique beam conditions, define specific elements of interest and create custom calibrations. For analytical requirements outside the realm of alloys, ores and polymers, the X-505 plus Empirical App offers complete flexibility for unique or proprietary analytical requirements.